Monday, March 15, 2010

Promises

On Sunday evening, as I was driving to church I saw a beautiful rainbow. It made me so happy. I mean, honestly, I was smiling and even laughing because I saw a rainbow. It made me immediately think of the promise in the Bible when God put a rainbow in the sky to promise Noah that He would never flood the world again. Every time I see a rainbow I think of that promise God made to Noah and to us.
God gives us many promises in His Word. I once heard the number of promises that are in the Bible, but I have forgotten. But, there are a lot. God gives us these promises to help us and encourage us and, of course, because He loves us. He is truthful and faithful. He keeps His Word all the time.
I've shared in some previous posts about a situation/trial that the Lord has allowed me to be in the past several months. Like I've said previously, I hate this situation! However, I have seen God more through this situation. He has become more real to me. I've drawn closer to Him through this. Drawing closer to the Lord through this situation is the only good thing I can see that has come from this situation in my life. His Word and His promises have become much dearer to me in these times. I want to share with you a few of my favorite promises that God gives to His children (me!).
One verse that I've known for a very long time but has been a blessing to me is: "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." Jeremiah 33:3 This verse does not mean that God will answer us the way we want/ask Him to; I've learned that! But, He will show us great things, better things than we can imagine. That is a comfort to me! My God loves me, and even though I don't always understand how He answers me, He has a better plan for me than I imagine. What a blessing!
Another one of my favorite promises is: "... I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Hebrews 13:5 b That is such a sweet promise! No matter what is going on in life or if you feel alone, God is always there. He will never leave us!! We can make the biggest mistakes in life, but God is still there. How sweet is that!
Another promise that I want to share is "The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth." Psalm 145:18 This verse also has a special meaning. The Lord is nigh (close) to His children. Like it says in Hebrews 13:5, God will never leave us. He is close to us. If we call upon Him, He is there. He never is too busy for us. What a comfort! Family and friends are great, but you have to admit, sometimes they are even too busy for us. But, with God, that is not possible! He is never too busy, and He is always close to us. WOW!
Here is on last promise I will share tonight: "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." James 1:5 I love that verse, too. Have you ever felt like you have no idea what to do? I'm sure you have, and so have I. But, God will give us wisdom if we ask Him. I love that! He gives the wisdom we need- just enough, in fact, possibly more than enough-- He gives it to us "liberally."
Well, there are many more promises in God's Word. I just shared a few with you. God gives us much more.
Do you have a favorite promise in God's Word? Do have one that means a lot to you? Please share with us a promise that God has given to you and that you claim.
Remember, God always keeps His Word. What a blessing!!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite promise is from Isaiah 26:3 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee."

    Thank you for the encouraging words and for sharing them with us. GOD is using you to bless others, especially me. I treasure our friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    That is one of my favorite verses, too. I've used that a lot lately. It is a blessing!
    Thanks for reading my blog; that is encouraging to me. I love to "talk" (as you know!), and I don't mind sharing what I'm learning because I'm learning a lot. I am thankful for you-- our friendship, too. Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.