Saturday, April 17, 2010

"Be Still..."

I have a lot of things going on in my head right now, which can be a scary thought (ha!). No, I've been learning a lot. There are so many things I want to share/write. But, I think I'm going to write about something that I've been learning about for the past year. Truly, I'm still learning it. I guess I am a slow learner.
One of my favorite Bible verses is: "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10
I want to emphasize the beginning of that verse. "Be still..." Now, I'm not a momma, but I am a teacher. There have been times, many in fact, that I have told my students to "be still." It is hard for people to be still. It is hard, by nature, for us to sit or stand without fidgeting. It is hard for me to physically be still.
In thinking of that, it is hard for us (people) to "be still." In thinking of being still, I relate that to trusting God. As I've mentioned in previous posts, God has allowed me to go through something (a trial) for the past year of my life. During this year, it hasn't been easy; however, I have learned many things, and I'm still learning.
One of the main things I've learned is to fully trust God and to wait for Him. It is so hard for people to wait on God. Like I said previously, it is hard to "be still", especially for women. Several months ago (at the beginning of the school year) I was on the phone with one of my school parents. Her daughter is new to our school this year. She was struggling. The mom was stressed because of it. She told me, " I have to be still. If I'm not still, I'm not trusting God." I was like, "Wow!" I thanked her so much for that comment. I haven't forgotten that, and I may never forget that. I told her that I needed it, but I didn't explain the situation on why I needed that. But, that is so true! If we aren't still and if we "help" God, it is us not trusting God. We think we can do better. I know that is not true!... at least for me.
Like I said before, being still is hard. It is hard for children and us. But, wait, we are God's children. We are in His hands. He knows what is best. Not only does He know what is best, He knows when is best. What a blessing! To go along with that thought, this summer my Pastor said something in one of his sermons that I don't think I'll forget, either. I cannot remember his message, but I remember what that one sentence was. It was, "God is punctual!"
So, to me the verse, "Be still, and know that I am God" and the sentence "God is punctual" are great reminders for us to just wait and trust the Lord. He is in control of all--- our happiness and our sadness.
So, do you have a hard time "being still?" If you do, you aren't alone! Remember, you can go to God any time. That, truly, has been the greatest blessing in my life during this trial He has given me, which has helped me to "learn to lean on God's arms."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.